Moms Of Boys Forum Index Moms Of Boys

Click "Register" to join. Once logged in, to post a new topic, click 'new topic' at the top or bottom of the message board. To post a reply, click on the original post listed, and then click 'post reply' at the top of the screen.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dinner Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever served cereal for dinner?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

jjjsmama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Dinner Woes Reply with quote

O.k. ladies....I hate making dinner and serving dinner.........because it is sooooooooo hard making something that everyone likes every single night! I refuse to become a Restaurant by giving everyone their own menus. All my boys take peeks in the kitchen saying "Whatcha making for dinner Mom?" I then hold my breath and tell them what's cooking, just waiting for the groaning and moaning. Of course, one of them, or if I'm really lucky, two of them might hurray with joy....but then there is always the one who says those words we moms hate "Yuck..I don't like that."

Sometimes I score and find that one meal that they ALL like and it's nutritious too...and believe me..I honestly want to make that darn meal every single night...but my husband won't let me Wink

I like making meals that are nutritiously balanced, but in less it doesn't involve pizza or some type of spagetti sauce venue, my boys get vocal. So, I just sip on my glass of wine...cook it, serve it and by the time I get to sit down...I'm usually the only one left at the table. Those are my dinner woes..........anyone else care to purge?
3BOYMOMMY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are pulling on the same oar, my friend! I just posted the picky eater thing this am. What are our boys doing to us? Not only have I done cereal, but if I truly want no argument and hubby is coming in late, we have pancakes! I have a rough time with menus as is because my oldest is allergic to eggs, but wow, the whole dinner thing can be mind blowing! I would love to purge more, but Bob the Builder is sadly done building and I've got some mouths to feed. Let the games begin!! Cheers, my wine glass to yours!!
jjjsmama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am smiling and laughing...cheers right back at cha my friend Smile Laughing Razz Very Happy
messybuthappy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys are not picky eaters & pretty much eat anything that is not moving. However, cereal is ABSOLUTELY on the menu for supper on occassion. We also have a littly ditty known as "fend for yourself night." All contents of the fridge are fair game (unless too fuzzy...yuk!) Admission time....popcorn has also been known to make an appearance as supper on a movie night... As long as we eat well 80% of the time, I don't worry about the other 20% - and when the kids were little, I NEVER would stress over what they ate at a party. Not worth it.
pepmah78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do this when my DH is working late or out of town. I have the boys put on their pj's early and we have breakfast and watch cartoons before bed. Kind of a nice way to end a hectic day.
Tav Mom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do breakfast before bed as well. It's so easy and I know that they will all eat. We've done pancakes as well.
Keegan-7/06
Tarik- 7/08
jennie4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us too! (Pancakes and cereal) Sometimes you just need the break...Pepper, I like the idea of the cartoon combination. We may have to give that a try the next time DH is out of town on business.
jjjsmama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I was just wondering about the breakfast for dinner..cereal thing,..cuz sometimes I serve it up on those "I just can't find the creativity, nor do I have the energy nights" and I starting saying "Bring out the cereal boys!" I do have a couple of friends/family who say that their husbands wouldn't put up with that [b] EVER[/b]...but thank God I have a husband who has a favorite brand of cereal too Smile Rolling Eyes After 21 years of marriage..I guess he can tell when I've absolutely had it. Shocked
OnlyPinkOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two very picky eaters out of 3. But they have grown up with having dinner be non negotiable. They hate asparagus, but eh, I still serve it occasionally. They've gotten more use to the taste. Or, I let them eat it with something else like peanut butter, LOL, to cover up the taste.

Also, know that it can take up to 15 times to a new food for young kids not to like something. You have to try to continually expose them to foods. My youngest 2 hate cheese and they were lactose intolerant babies, so I do cut some slack there. We don't do lasagne or mac and cheese. They did start eating eggs this summer and my jaw about dropped on the floor. They are now 9, 13, and 15. The 15yo has eaten just about anything from birth. The younger two have gotten immensely better. I figure one meal out of 3 being a must has helped a lot. But, I also agree on party food. I never make an issue there. They will eat what they eat.
milla1980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full time job, 2 kids and a husband. I can't make a dinner or lunch for them every day, because I just don't have time. Sometimes my husbands helps me, we are cooking only on weekends, when everybody is home, in the rest of the time we have healthy meals delivered by a catering company. All of us finds this food tasty and everyone can choose what they like to eat. I think this is one of the bests solutions if you are busy or are not in the mood for cooking.
Granola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I was very foutunate with my boys. They would eat anything I put on the table. I LOVE to cook, use to have a catering business. It's hard now that they are all gone, I don't cook like I use to. I use to make homemade rolls all the time, don't do that anymore. They loved them. Husband and I don't need the bread, LOL!!! We still eat healthy meals, just hard to pair down to two instead of five. Sad Some days I really miss the boys and other days I do a sigh of relief. LOL!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: