Moms Of Boys Forum Index Moms Of Boys

Click "Register" to join. Once logged in, to post a new topic, click 'new topic' at the top or bottom of the message board. To post a reply, click on the original post listed, and then click 'post reply' at the top of the screen.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from Alaska

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharityB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Hi from Alaska Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to find some moms out there that love their boys with every bit of their being but need some good solid consistent advice on raising adolescent boys. I have been married for 16 years. I have a 13 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. My husband is only home 2 weeks out of the month because of his work so I am my son's (and daughters) disciplinarian, friend, mom, wrestler, taxi, tutor....and whatever else I need to be. I work full time outside the home, go to school part time and have my family in the evening. The kids and I are involved in our church and we all have a good support system there and my son has a great youth group there. I am having a hard time with the adolescent stage and the changes my son seems to be going through. I find myself getting very angry with some of his remarks that he makes towards only me, how he treats me, the sighs when I ask him to do his chores or homework, etc...... any advice on how to handle these changes would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward in hearing from anyone with experience.

CharityB
Granola

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....hi sweetie, welcome. You are in hard place right now, and will be for awhile. I have three sons, 29, 26, and 24. I certainly have been in your shoes. You have to determine what is acceptable to you. Choose your battles, that's VERY important. He is trying on different "hats" right now, trying to determine who he is to a certain extent. It's about the time that he will be pulling away from you and trying to figure out how. It's completely normal. Of course you can't tolerate "a mouth" and let him know that. DO NOT take the way he treats you personally, I know, it's hard not to. I cried buckets because I felt so unappreciated and unloved. I did not work so I was with them all the time. When husband would get home from work he was their savior, Laughing The sr. year in highschool, perhaps starting in llth grade is rough as well. They know they will be leaving home for college or whatever. It's easier to leave angry than it is all lovey, if that makes any sense. I took me awhile to "get" that. I understand now. I don't mean belligerent or hostile, just grumpy and such. It is a coping mechansium for them. Of course I realize not every child is the same. I'm pulling this from my experince of the experinces of friends who have boys. Among my three great friends we raised ll boys Shocked Stop by again! Nice to meet you. peace,ann
JSaldan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charity,
My name is Jessica. I have three little guys (6,4,2). I'm not quite at the stage where you are yet, but my 6 year old has quite the "tude" sometimes. You really have your hands full, especially since your hubby is gone so much. I'd love to be there to support each other. Maybe you can give me some advice on my little mouth! I adore my guys, but it's so hard when they start talking back. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Jess
CharityB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the wise words - a lot of my friends who have raised "boys" are telling me the same thing. So hard not to take it personal.
My husband just left on a plane this evening to his new job and I feel so stinkin alone it isn't even funny-of course I am not.
At any rate.....
thanks.

CharityB
CharityB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the wise words - a lot of my friends who have raised "boys" are telling me the same thing. So hard not to take it personal.
My husband just left on a plane this evening to his new job and I feel so stinkin alone it isn't even funny-of course I am not.
At any rate.....
thanks.

CharityB

JSaldan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't written in a while. We went to Disney and then this miserable virus ripped through our house! Sorry to hear hubby was off again. Hopefully he's home now! Looking forward to chatting again.
prifdecop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Saying Hi! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: