Moms Of Boys Forum Index Moms Of Boys

Click "Register" to join. Once logged in, to post a new topic, click 'new topic' at the top or bottom of the message board. To post a reply, click on the original post listed, and then click 'post reply' at the top of the screen.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adnoids or ADD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvmy3boys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Adnoids or ADD? Reply with quote

Well, not that I expect any of you to diagnose him (lol) but my oldest son (just turned 10) has enlarged adnoids. His tonsils are normal size. Anyway, I asked his pediatrician about it because he snores loudly at night and it sounds like he's drowning in saliva (poor baby Sad ). He doesn't have trouble breathing at night or anything though...he's just really LOUD about it. It also sounds like his nose is constanly plugged up around the bridge of his nose (when he's awake), he blows his nose but nothing. He's taking flonase once a day, it's not helping much. When he talks for a long period of time with no break (like reading out loud or something) his voice sounds like he needs to clear his nose (hard to explain). His poor little breath seems really foul at times as well, even though he is good about brushing his teeth, flossing and using moutwash. In school he seems to have focus issues at times (who doesn't?)...some weeks he will bring home D's and F's (he's in 4th grade) and other weeks he'll bring home A's and B's and sometimes even straight A's. I personally see him focus on things he likes and totally zone out on other things (he's human, we all do that right? lol). His teachers are quick to tell me it's ADD (although he has never been tested for it).

I spoke to his doctor after reading an article in Parents talking about enlarged tonsils not allowing kids to sleep well at night, in turn giving them "ADD like" symptoms during the day in class (not focused, etc). His doctor confirmed that could be the case. He referred my son to an ear, nose and throat doc. We went yesterday, he confirmed that my son had enlarged adnoids (uh, yeah, I already knew that) but chose to do nothing about it. Said "he may grow out of it by 14 years old"...hmmm, so should I sit on the fact that my child may not get enough rest for the next FOUR YEARS? The ENT doctor wasn't very kid friendly either, seemed agitated, didn't explain things he was doing to my son before he did them, etc. Anyway, I don't necessairly want surgery for my lil guy but something is definately "wrong". He's a perfect little sweetie, physically he's fine, he's smart and caring...it's just this nose thing that I just KNOW in my heart has something to do with his selective focus issues. Anyone else experience anything like that with their boys...just curious because I'm going to approach his doctor again and see what else it could be. Thanks in advance! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal suggestion is, find another doctor. That first one doesn't sound like the right doctor for you and your son.

My other suggestion, is trust your mother's intuition. I believe that a mother's intuition is right everytime. Remember, you know your son better than any doctor, because you are with him every day.

My older son had Hirshsprung's disease at birth, and we went to lots of doctors. The main lesson I learned was, trust my own instincts, and not to blindly trust doctors. Some doctors are very good, and others were plain quacks, then there is everything in between.
luvmy3boys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Jen! Smile That's what I'm going to do. As soon as I left that docs office we met up with my dh and I told him that even if that doc has said he needed them removed I would have had a different doc remove them, I just didn't get a good feel about the doc in general. I personally think he just wanted us out of his office, he looked a little put off when he walked in and saw me and 3 boys sitting in a cramped little space waiting for him. Anyway...yeah, my gut is telling me to get another opinion and I just know he needs them removed, unfortunately. Sad But I'm pretty sure he does. I hope your older son is doing well Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Very Happy

My older boy is doing great, now. He will be 12 in just a few weeks! But we had a rough go of it for the first 5 years or so of his life. I just thank God he is doing so well now.
momof4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know your post is a little old & you may already have your sons adnoids removed, If you did then you know it makes a huge difference. Tommy was a little over 2 when we had his removed & we were amazed at the difference his whole personality changed. He had sleep apnea from it!! So he was a real grouch from not sleeping well & it seemed we were always fighting colds. He is much more pleasant to be around so GOOD LUCK!! I echo what Jen said Trust your Mamas intuition!! Have A Good One!!
Kidsmomof2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: ADD adenoids Reply with quote

My oldest son is 9 and has some of the same issues. We had his adenoids removed a little over a year ago because we were having a second set of tubes put in his ears due to ear infections and speech delay. He was not hearing all of his sounds and as a result had a speech delay.

He is going into the 4th grade and I will have to say that having the adenoids removed made a huge difference. Every morning he would be stuffy, and could not get going. That has changed and he is more alert.

He still has issues with reading and writing and has a slight case of ADD. He takes 5 mg of ritalin on the morning before going to school. It wears off by lunch time and he is doing much better.

Our ENT asked us about school issues as well as his medical issues. I would get a second opinion too.
legacymom4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the situation has been taken care of by now, but I just wanted to share my story. Just like Michelle, "Momof4", my youngest son had his tonsils and adnoids removed at age 3. He wasn't sleeping thru the night, choking and having trouble breathing. He improved greatly and slept much better after that. He still has some sleep issues and we took him in 2 weeks ago for a sleep study. We will get the results in a couple of weeks.

I hope your son is sleeping better!

Diane
Mom of 4 Boys
prifdecop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: