Moms Of Boys Forum Index Moms Of Boys

Click "Register" to join. Once logged in, to post a new topic, click 'new topic' at the top or bottom of the message board. To post a reply, click on the original post listed, and then click 'post reply' at the top of the screen.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you walk around naked in front of your boys????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mommy*2*3*boyz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Do you walk around naked in front of your boys???? Reply with quote

Okay, this has been a topic that my mom brings up on a regular basis when she is at my house......"Put some clothes on, will ya? You don't need to be walking around in that in front of them!" (t-shirt and panties) And we all know you can't get a moment of peace in the bathroom, shower etc. So, my question is: At what age is it inappropriate for your boys to see you naked AND how do you manage them not seeing you naked? This may sound like a stupid question, but seriously, I can be taking a dump and my husband will come in and start up a converation with me. I mean come on, can I not shit in peace? I know, I know TMI. But my God!!!! Any opinions? I would love to hear what you gals have to say on this one!! Smile

Ashley

Mom To:

Zane 7 Years
Wyatt 4 Years
Ryder 5 months

Wife To:

Paul (Old enough to know I deserve some privacy when handling my business for Christ's sake)
Granola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....my husband was always on me about this subject. I wouldn't be tottaly naked, the pants and a shirt without a bra, I never wore one. I guess it was around six or seven that I gave in. Laughing
jennie4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!! Laughing
I think this is one of those topics that really depends on the person and family. My three little guys are all still fairly young. And I nursed all of them through the first year...not that this matters, but they saw me as a food source for their first 12-18 months! Wink Plus, DH is a European so he views nudity (in particular) in a much more casual, less sexualized way than I think the average American does.
For me, the rule of thumb is that if I start to feel uncomfortable with anything like that (going to the bathroom, showertime etc), then I take the steps I need to be more comfortable. And as DH says, DSs will get to a certain age where they won't be comfortable just barging in at any time. So I'll also take my cues from them.
As for the bathroom, mine has a lock and I use it when I need personal time in the bathroom. (And sometimes that personal time consists of nothing more than me just going in there to have a minute alone, so I don't tear out my hair!!!)
IMO you need to do what works best for you and your family. It sounds like you're all pretty casual and as long as that works for you then you may not want to make changes. (Although given your comments above maybe a lock on the bathroom door wouldn't be a bad thing? Smile ) But either way, I think that we all just do what works best for us, our families, personal values etc. Hope this helps!!
Granola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....I thought when the boys were gone I'd be able to pee alone but my three cats will open the bathroom door if I don't shut it all the way. Laughing They put their paw under the door and open it!!!!! But, they don't mind if I'm naked!!!! Laughing
3Workmanboys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that once they start asking each other or my husband "where's mommy's pee bug?", all bets are off and the door stays locked!! LOL. Best of luck!
OnlyPinkOne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is very individualized family to family. I think what your husband thinks is more important than what your mom thinks. I was more laid-back about it, but it really bothered my husband. His cut-off was age 3, so that meant he had to take more of a roll in helping out though. My MS was taumatized by seeing my DH naked when he was three actually in the shower. I don't WANT a big penis~! Shocked
Mommy*2*3*boyz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My MS was taumatized by seeing my DH naked when he was three actually in the shower. I don't WANT a big penis~!"

You are cracking me up!!!! Laughing
Tav Mom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennie4 wrote:
Yikes!!! Laughing
I think this is one of those topics that really depends on the person and family. My three little guys are all still fairly young. And I nursed all of them through the first year...not that this matters, but they saw me as a food source for their first 12-18 months! Wink Plus, DH is a European so he views nudity (in particular) in a much more casual, less sexualized way than I think the average American does.
For me, the rule of thumb is that if I start to feel uncomfortable with anything like that (going to the bathroom, showertime etc), then I take the steps I need to be more comfortable. And as DH says, DSs will get to a certain age where they won't be comfortable just barging in at any time. So I'll also take my cues from them.
As for the bathroom, mine has a lock and I use it when I need personal time in the bathroom. (And sometimes that personal time consists of nothing more than me just going in there to have a minute alone, so I don't tear out my hair!!!)
IMO you need to do what works best for you and your family. It sounds like you're all pretty casual and as long as that works for you then you may not want to make changes. (Although given your comments above maybe a lock on the bathroom door wouldn't be a bad thing? Smile ) But either way, I think that we all just do what works best for us, our families, personal values etc. Hope this helps!!

I agree. My oldest is 6 and we are still pretty open. I can get dressed in front of all of them and it's no biggie. They ask questions sometimes, but hey, they're learning. Who better to answer questions about girls than me!!
Keegan-7/06
Tarik- 7/08
Mommy*2*3*boyz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a funny story. When YS was born, I figured OS would remember me nursing MS so it never even crossed my mind that he would have questions, comments or concerns. Turns out, he had no memory of it at all. I took my DH in to have his vasectomy early one morning when YS was about a week old and my mom came to stay with the kids. When I returned, YS was ready to eat. DH went to bed and I proceeded to feed YS. OS came into the living room where my mom and I were and looked at me feeding YS with horror. I guess he'd been too busy to pay any attention to what had been occuring the entire previous week and how his brother was being fed. Nonetheless, he looked at me with this look of horror and disqust on his face and said "Mom, WHAT are you doing to him?" Surprised I replied, "I'm feeding him......" Sort of lost as to where he'd been for the last week of his youngest brothers life. His reply....."I thought only pigs did that!" My mom and I just about died. Not cats, not dogs, not any other animal....PIGS.....as if I weren't having enough issues with being fat and not losing any of the baby weight yet!! Sad It was sooooo funny. This is something I can't wait to share with his wife!
pepmah78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tav Mom wrote:

I agree. My oldest is 6 and we are still pretty open. I can get dressed in front of all of them and it's no biggie. They ask questions sometimes, but hey, they're learning. Who better to answer questions about girls than me!!

The same in our household. My mother still to this day walks around half clothed in front of us, unless our spouses are around. I grew up with a single mom and 2 brothers and we always ran from room to room with only half our clothes on. I am constantly walking around either in a tank top with no pants or a short robe. My DH always gets on me to close the blinds, but I guess I have a "I don't care" approach to it.
Mightymitey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son is 5 and I'm just now starting to be uncomfortable naked around him. I nurse our baby in front of him, but he has started to be a little inapropriate with me (poking my "nursies" and stuff like that. It's tough to pull it off, but if DH is home I've started locking the door when I shower. If DH is not home, I try to shower really quick while they're watching a show. If he does catch me naked I don't make a big deal out of it cuz I don't want him to think it's weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Moms Of Boys Forum Index -> Raising Boys Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: